Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Favorite Place in Costa Rica: The Bottom of the Ocean!

So good news everyone: my lungs didn’t explode! How great is that? Actually, it turned out to be an amazing experience. I’ve actually decided me favorite place in Costa Rica is on the bottom of the ocean. And now I’m a certified scuba diver, which means I’ll probably go diving again in about…oh 10 years or so, if I’m lucky. Actually, I hope I get to go more than that, but ya know, the rivers in Iowa just don’t compare to the ocean.

Anyway, so how does one go about getting certified? Well, on Friday we left for Playa Hermosa (Beautiful Beach). It took us nine hours to get there because of the bus schedules. And actually, we got the last bus that went to Playa Hermosa. The scary part was, the bus was supposed to leave at 5:30, and we didn’t get there until 5:40, but fortunately it was running behind schedule. We finally got to our hotel, which was an ordeal in and of itself, at around 8:00 on Friday.

On Saturday we woke up bright and early to start exploring the pool. But before we could learn to dive, we had to learn how to use the gear. When diving you wear a wet suit, a weight belt, flippers, a mask, and of course, a tank full of oxygen with 3 hoses coming out of it. The three hoses provide air to you, to others (if necessary), and to the vest because you need to fill it with air to float. We learned in the pool first to get used to the regulator (the breathing apparatus) and the buoyancy controls. We all got in a circle and we had to practice taking our regulators out and then putting them back in, using other people’s octopuses (an extra regulator attached to your air tank, used to share oxygen with people if they run out), and taking our masks (goggles) off. Taking the goggles off scared me a little. To get the water out of the mask you push on the top part of it, tilt your head back, and blow air out of your nose. I hate getting water in my eyes, and I definitely hate having a plastic thing full of water suctioned to my head. I did it, and I got some water up my nose and my eyes hurt a little, but I did it without going to the surface.

That afternoon we went to the ocean. Only 6 of us went down at a time (there were 10 total) because we only had one instructor. Dan was my partner, so we were in charge of looking after one another. I won’t lie, I was a little nervous. However, we only went into water that was about 20 feet deep, so you could come to the surface at anytime. We swam through a massive school of fish, and we saw tons of blow fish and many other kinds of tropical fish. We also saw eels and an octopus. I filled up my whole 27 exposure, waterproof camera. So I’m hoping some of those pictures turn out. That dive lasted about 50 minutes. When you start, your air tank has about 3000 psi of air pressure, and you have to come up when someone gets down to 1000 psi.

On Sunday we took a boat out to an island. On the way there we saw “something” whales (I’m so specific, I know), which are actually a type of dolphin. Anyway, we got to the island and all 12 of us went down at the same time. This time we went down to about 50 feet. Some people had problems adjusting their ears to the pressure, but I could swim straight down, fortunately. I just had to keep swallowing. On this dive we saw a sea turtle, which I would estimate (although water distorts the distance and size of objects) was about 3 feet long. It was a Green Sea Turtle, and when people tried to touch it, the guides banged metal snaps on their air tanks and shook their heads no.

We were on the bottom for about 30 minutes for that dive.

On the surface we had to wait 40 minutes before we could go back down. This has something to do with letting your body adjust to the pressure, or air, or something again. I should probably know this since I’m technically certified, but I guess I’ll play it safe and go with guides, or I’ll have to study a bit before I go down on my own. During the 40 minute break, some of us swam to the island and went into a shallow inlet/cave thing. There were hundreds of crabs all over the rocks, and when you got near they just dove to safety into the ocean. It was pretty cool except one of the girls sliced open her foot on the island because it was made out of coral type stuff and was very sharp.

Anyway, we put our tanks back together, got our gear on and went back down. I was one of the first people down, and when we got to the bottom, Myra (our instructor) gathered us together and signaled for us to watch her. She then proceeded to take her regulator out of her mouth, let go of it, grab it again, and put it back in. Then she pointed at us, signaling it was our turn. I had no problem doing this, even though I was 50 feet from the surface, it wasn’t that hard to get the respirator back in and blow the water out. However, when she proceeded to take her goggles off, my heart started pounding. When it was my turn to take my goggles off, I shook my head no… I was not about to fill my eyes with salt water, suction waterlogged goggles back onto my head, blow my precious air out, all while attempting to breath through my mouth—at the bottom of the ocean. I’m sorry, I just wasn’t ready for such daring things. She signaled for me to calm down. And then she asked me if she could fill my goggles with water. I shook my head yes, so she filled them with water just a little over the tops of my eyes. I then attempted to blow it out, and I got it even though it took me a few tries. So essentially what I did was the same thing, but I didn’t fill my goggles with water myself. Who does that in real life anyway? I stayed calm (enough), but I think I definitely used up more oxygen than I normally would’ve.

On this dive, we saw mostly the same animals again. However, there were trumpet fish that were about 3 feet long, 2 inches wide, and almost transparent. I also saw big eels. I think they’re called moray eels, or something similar to that. The guide told me to stick my fingers by its mouth (as a joke, obviously), but I’m not dumb. I’ve watched “The Little Mermaid” enough times to know better than that.

Anyway, this time they decided to only take people up when their oxygen was running low, and since I was one of the first people down (and I did breathe rather heavily during the goggle incident) I had to go up after only 35 minutes.

Even though I love air, and I think there are many beautiful places above sea level, there’s something spectacular about the sea floor. It really is a completely different world. It looks like everything is flying, and you can even fly yourself. You just fly through the water in a world that you don’t belong to, but for 35 short minutes you can. So if there is anyone else out there who watched “The Little Mermaid” as many times as I did or just really loves water, I definitely recommend scuba diving. It’s definitely worth it, even if you do get a little salt water in your eyes.

2 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Great post. Glad your enjoying yourself and getting to see and do so much.
How much longer do you get to stay there?

Kryna said...

Jess, you may be certified, but I wouldn't recommend doing adds for it right now...you scared me to death! Take off your mask at 50 feet deep....never! I could barely figure out snorkeling. :)

Can't wait to see the pics though. Looks like tons of fun.